A chance to enjoy the dramatic scenery, nature and wildlife of Transylvania.
The day includes:
- An evening of bear watching after a picnic lunch at beautiful Sambata Monastery on route. A traditional dinner, prepared by ‘Tanti Marioara’ in her rustic home-stay.
- Leaving mid morning and returning after dark. An evening spent deep in the mysterious and magical forests of Transylvania for your chance to watch bears in their natural habitat.
- Booked through premier nature guide, Simona Munteneau: Transylvania’s pristine forests are inhabited by over 3000 wolves, 5500 bears and 1500 lynx, as well as other large mammals. In summer there are 5 million sheep grazing up in the mountains. It is here where the Ranger will take you to a ‘secret hide’ for a chance to watch bears.
*”There is a possibility to spot bears from a distance during the day-time but the chances are very small. If there is still snow we may have a chance to track them. We do however have a possibility to greatly increase your chances of seeing bears from the ‘hide’. The hide is ideal for observing the bears (not just spotting them) as they stay and feed.” Simona
Package and Costs:
The nature reserve is a two hour drive into the mountains from Sibiu. We will arrive before dusk after a picnic lunch at beautiful Sambata Monastery.
The Ranger will then take you by LandRover to a secret location in the forest. There will be a short (5 minute), easy walk to the hide where you will stay to watch bears until darkness has fallen.
Bears are creatures of habit and the hide we use is well established. In the last 10 years, from April to October we have had a 100% success rate and offer a money back guarantee for guests staying on a ‘fully inclusive’ basis.
Guests at the hide have also seen wild boar, deer and even wolves on occasion.However, there is no guarantee of seeing any of these animals.
After your large carnivore experience, enjoy a delicious home cooked meal prepared by Auntie Marioara (an unexpected highlight for many guests).
The price includes :
- A packed lunch
- A visit to Sambata Monastery on route
- An evening Bear Watching with a ranger in a state registered hide
- Dinner in a traditional home-stay
Fully Inclusive guests:
- £65 for guests staying with us on a ‘fully inclusive’ basis
- £110 per person (minimum 2 people)
- £80 per person (3 to 6 people)
- Larger group prices on request
Photographs courtesy of previous guest, Dave Mars.